June 29, 2016

Summer Fun with Index Cards

The ICAD (Index-Card-a-Day) challenge over at Daisy Yellow is on again. Tammy challenges her readers to create something on an index card for 61 days in a row. I participate for the second time and use this as an opportunity to try new media, techniques and styles and to work with colors I usually avoid. Therefore you’ll get to see a wide variety and probably some creations you wouldn’t have expected. Well, even I was amazed by some of my ICADs and by how much I like the abstract ones. So far I haven’t followed any of the optional prompts this year. I often started without a specific plan and painted or collaged a background first, hoping I would come up with an idea afterwards. It somehow worked. :)
I’ve grouped my ICADs in terms of colors and themes for this post, so they are not in chronological order.

ICAD Mixed Media Collage
Acrylic paints, vintage book page, handpainted papers, stamps, white gel pen, black crayon.
ICAD Mixed Media Collage
  Acrylic paints, vintage book page, handpainted papers, stamps, white gel pen, black crayon, bingo card number.
I had some fun creating Lucy, the deer lady and the giraffe with and an ostrich head. You know that I like weird and quirky. :) Both heads as well as the giraffe body are parts of vintage images from The Graphics Fairy. I turned the second ICAD into a birthday card for a 12 year old girl.


ICAD Mixed Media Collage

Vintage book page, acrylic paints and clothes labels.


Vintage book page and ticket, handmade paper, acrylic paints, thread.

Handmade paper, acrylic paints, thread.

ICAD Mixed Media Collage
 Vintage book page and map, back of an envelope, handpainted papers, polyester organza melted with a heat gun.


ICAD Paper Quilt by Vintage with Laces
Acrylic paints, ink, thread.

ICAD Mixed Media Collage by Vintage with Laces
Handpainted papers, acrylic paints, thread.

ICAD Mixed Media by Vintage with Laces
Acrylic paints, black crayon.

Fabric ICAD by Vintage with Laces
A piece of an old t-shirt that I used to clean my brushes, ripped into strips and sewn randomly together with a zigzag stitch directly onto the index card.

ICAD Mixed Media Collage by Vintage with Laces
Vintage book pages and other papers, acrylic paints, black and white crayon, ink, stamp.

ICAD Mixed Media Collage by Vintage with Laces
Vintage book pages, corrugated and other recycled papers, handpainted paper, acrylic paints, black crayon.
The corrugated papers and pieces of vintage book pages sewn together and then used left side up provide interesting textures.

ICAD Mixed Media Collage by Vintage with Laces
Vintage sewing pattern, book page and other vintage papers, scissors image from The Graphics Fairy, stamp, black crayon, thread.

ICAD Mixed Media Collage by Vintage with Laces
Vintage book pages, handwritten letter, used sandpaper, corrugated and other recycled papers, acrylic paints, black crayon, stamps, thread. Rubbing a black crayon over a textured background gives a nice effect. I used that technique on several cards.

ICAD Doodles by Vintage with Laces
Acrylic paints, markers, white gel pen.

ICAD Doodles by Vintage with Laces
Acrylic paints, white gel pen.

ICAD stamped with recycled materials by Vintage with Laces
Acrylic paints. Stamped with corrugated cardboard, bubble wrap and a bottle cap.

ICAD Doodles by Vintage with Laces
Markers only.

ICAD by Vintage with Laces
Just threads and a printed quote.

ICAD Mixed Media by Vintage with Laces
Watercolors, fabrics, threads.
My first attempt was a failure. I glued lots of different green littel rectangles onto and index card. Then I free machine stitched pokey lines to look like grass. After I had appliquéd the blossoms and machine stitched the stems and some vines it looked too busy. I cut out the flowers and glued them to a watercolor background with some curvy stitched lines. I’m still not too happy with it though.


Acrylic paints, corrugated paper, Japanese snippet.

Vintage book page, acrylic paints, white gel pen, black crayon.

ICAD Mixed Media Collage by Vintage with Laces
Assorted used sandpaper, corrugated paper, parts of vintage book spines, bingo card number.

ICAD Mixed Media Collage by Vintage with Laces
Crayons (melted with a heat gun, then rubbed with a paper towel) and a leftover piece of a vintage book page.
I like to thank Tammy for all the work she puts into the challenge. I enjoyed it so far and it is a great exercise but to be honest, I feel a bit exhausted. Just while I’m writing this, I have decided not to continue. We have high temperatures here and no A/C. These hot summer days and nights without enough sleep drain energy out of me. I rather like to spend that what’s left on my favorite subjects and create new fabric/fiber art and found object sculptures. I wouldn’t want to miss the challenge though. It’s good to leave the comfort zone for a while and try some new media and techniques.
My cards will show up at these great parties:
The Creative Circle at Up to Date Interiors
Sweet Inspiration Link Party at Kreativ K
Saturday Sparks at Pieced Pastimes

39 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Wow! They are all so amazing! Definitely a very mixed media! Wonderful! I hear you on the heat. It's currently 49 C here. We cannot live without a/c.

Annie said...

Your ICADs look so awesome! I love this idea of a small piece of art every day, but I know that I'd never keep up. How you find such awesome inspiration and variety is amazing to me. You have great talent!

Lynda Shoup said...

Your work is amazing! You are certainly not a one trick pony. It is impressive to see the versatility you show here. I especially enjoy the first set. Dare I say it? I LOVE Lucy! The whimsy of these pieces strikes my fancy and the natural tone selection are designed to perfection.

Hope the heat abates or that you find some cool respite. Air conditioning is my friend.

Junkchiccottage said...

Just awesome Julia. Love the fun and whimsy you put into all your pieces. Try and stay cool.
Kris

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Gigantisch sind Deine ICADS Julia..jedes einzelne Stück ist ein Kunstwerk par excellence!
Bin total begeistert!

Liebe Grüße
Susi

Dorthe said...

My goodness Julia, dear friend, what am amazing collection of wonderful ICAD cards. They are so different from each other , and gorgeous.
I love the two first ones :-) and all the texture you created on some of them, is so wonderful . Also the real abstract ones caught my eye ,and made me stop to take in the details.
Thank you for showing dear, being busy with a creation, almost every day is a great "rest" in the day !!

Love and hugs from Dorthe

white and vintage said...

Liebe Julia,
wow, eine Karte ist schöner als die andere. Richtige Kunstwerke sind dir da gelungen Toll!
Ganz liebe Grüße,
Christine

Corrine at corrinegilman.com said...

Whimsical humor and some wonderful textural pieces with stitch. Nice, varied array of offerings for this challenge. Enjoy the use of the hand made papers. xox

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Very creative, Julia, you are very artistic!

xo

Marsha

Barbara Casillas said...

It's amazing you could come up with so many totally different and wonderful designs. I especially like the group in the middle with the beige backgrounds. I love the textures in them. I know what you mean about the heat. We've been experiencing some high temperatures in LA. I live in an area that never got too hot because we are not real close, but close enough to the ocean. It's hotter everywhere now, though, so we could use air conditioning. It is difficult to do much of anything in the heat.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Wow, Julia! What an ambitious challenge, you really pulled it off! Every one of your card creations is such an inspiration. It's hard to choose a favorite, but I think it would have to be the threads and printed quotes. You did good!!!

iHanna said...

You index cards are just super cool, I esp love the animal mixes - totally fun! Thanks for sharing them all together like this!

Happy ICADing!

Linda Kilsdonk said...

These are alll truly wonderful! I was disappointed to discover at the end of the post that you have decided to discontinue the challenge. But we all need to be true to ourselves and do what's best. Congrats on creating all this beauty! Smiles, Linda at Paper Seedlings

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful cards! Thanks so much for popping by my blog too. I was so sad to read you're not continuing with ICAD but I get it, believe me! Some real standouts for me are the two animals at the beginning - very much reminded me of Nick Bantock - the cream/black/red combos (no surprise there!) - but all are lovely and unique.

minnemie said...

Oh wow.. These are so great!! So many interesting textures and combinations. I love the poppies and the one w/Einstein quote... but then also the one w/scissors and all with handmade paper... so fun!

Christine said...

very nice work, thanks for sharing!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Julia! This is such an amazing collection of ICAD's! I love each and every one and all of the creativity that went into making them! Thank you so much for sharing them with all of us! And thank you, also, for stopping by my blog! I really appreciate your nice visit! HUGS!!! Sharon

~*~Patty S said...

Thank you for sharing such a fine array of creativity!
So many details to enjoy.
oxo
p.s. the heat and humidity really do me in too ... hope you get a break in the weather and cool down a bit

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Wow..What a commitment 61 days. You made some great ICADS I love the ones that you sewed, I have always wanted to try that!

Carol

Poppy said...

Julia, such imaginative designs! Kudos to you for tackling this creative challenge, especially under such draining climatic conditions! I really love the blue based ones, perhaps because they remind me of my beloved Aegean sea!!

Have a cool and restful week!

Hugs,
Poppy

Rostrose said...

Hach, du liebe und vielseitige Julia,
es ist einach irre, was du alles kannst und schaffst und welche fantastischen Ideen du immer wieder auslebst. Da ist vieles dabei, das mich SEHR anspricht - meine absoluten Lieblinge heute sind aber deine "crazy" Tierkompositionen - da laufen in meinem Hirn gleich ein paar Geschichten ab udn sowas mag ich natürlich sehr! :o)
Übrigens gibt es auch bei mir aktuell wieder einiges Tierisches zu sehen, auch "Katziges" für dich "Crazy Cat Woman" ;o)) - und mit diesem Beitrag verabschiede ich mich in eine Quasi-Sommerpause, bei der es aber ein paar wenige Unterbrechungen geben wird ;o) ...
Ganz herzliche rostrosige Grüße, Fellchenkrauler und alles Liebe,
Traude
http://rostrose.blogspot.co.at/2016/07/sommerliches-tierisches-und-eine.html

Jeanie said...

Julia, I wanted to thank you for visiting me at MarmeladeGypsy and I'm so VERY glad I came over here! I am incredibly inspired! These are just remarkable, the media so diverse! You must have been having a wonderful time creating these -- I know I'm enjoying the view!

Life Redesign 101 said...

So much art and inspiration from a humble index card! These are lovely.

Keri Roberts said...

These index cards are so cool! You did a great job on the ones you've made so far. I really like the flowers on the green watercolor background.

Draffin Bears said...

Dear Julia,

Always great to see your creative work - the index cards are fabulous.
Well done, especially in the heat must have been hard.
Have a great weekend
hugs
Carolyn

mandysea said...

oh my goodness, I'm so glad you prompted me to come see what you've been working on. I'm in awe! The vintage pages...the mixed media and thread.. I just wanted to reach into my computer and touch some of these pieces of art! I feel inspired! Please send some heat our way... you can have some of our cold - fair swap?

Teddee Grace said...

Oh, wow! You are so creative, but also so inspirational. I actually think I might be able to pull of a couple of these! Thanks for sharing.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I LOVE the giraffe with the head of a bird :) so creative!!

handmade by amalia said...

Of course you did something amazing with your cards, Julia. Of course you did.
Amalia
xo

Mary K.- The Boondocks Blog said...

Julia each one of your index cards tells a different story. They are little paintings that capture a moment and each one is so unique. Try to stay cool, you can make art and I will admire it. It is too hot in Greece too and no a/c. I'm afraid to paint for fear the paint will slide off the furniture.

ULKAU said...

Deine Karten-Kreationen sind so fantastisch, so unterschiedlich in der Gestaltung... ich könnte kaum sagen, welche mir am besten gefällt. Du hast bestimmt viel Spaß beim Herstellen gehabt!
Lieben Gruß von Ulrike

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

You are so talented, Julia...it was fun to see your beautiful art pieces!

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh WOW Julia! I admire your discipline in trying so many new and varied techniques.
I love the last few most of all and the way you use that black/charcoal crayon!
Lovely work and so much more colour in your artwork!
I am so late commenting - The days just run away from me lately!
Love and hugs to you sweetie,
Suzy

Özge Başağaç said...

Hello Julia.Thank you for visiting my blog. Your cards look amazing. I especially liked the ones where you brought paints and threads/sewing together.Have a great weekend :)I will be following...

denthe said...

WOW, that is quite a collection you have here! Amazing! I love the diversity of the techniques, each one so creative! I can understand you're exhausted, these must've taken a long time to create. I guess you got a lot of inspiration now for your other artwork. Well done!

Summer said...

These cards are very pretty ♥

summerdaisy.net

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love all of those beautiful shades of blue :)

I wish you a wonderful weekend!

Pamela Gerard said...

WOW is right -- i love those pages with the sand paper, other papers, sewing etc -- wonderful. Just my type.

Angie Chavez at Knick of Time said...

Congratulations on all your features, Julia - they are well deserved. You are so creative.

I'm so sorry to hear about Finn. What an adorable little dog he was, and I'm glad he got to spend his final days with someone to love on him.