September 25, 2015

Wooden Tote Makeover

When you like to create and decorate with found objects and discarded items, it is great to have someone who keeps an eye open for things you can upcycle and repurpose. In my case, it is my husband who always watches out for objects I might be able to use in some way. When he spotted an old wooden tote that someone had thrown away, he knew I would be happy to give it a makeover.

Wooden Tote Makeover - Before and After by Vintage with Laces


Wooden Tote Makeover by Vintage with Laces

My little helper Barney had his own opinion what the wooden tote could be used for. I am sorry, my sweet furry friend, our ideas are similar but this piece is not for you.

Wooden Tote Makeover by Vintage with Laces

While I like a bit of rustic wood, this thing was just too battered to leave the wood exposed. I filled the larger holes and cracks and painted it gray.

Wooden Tote Makeover by Vintage with Laces

It is years ago that we spent some wonderful vacations in the South of France but we always think back to them with great pleasure. Therefore, I chose to hand paint the name of an imaginary bar/café in St. Tropez on the wooden tote. The most time consuming part was to decide which fonts I wanted to use. I finally went for “Callie Hand” and “Chocolate Box”. They just talked French to me :) .

Wooden Tote Makeover by Vintage with Laces
So far we have used it to carry drinks and snacks into the garden but I think of filling it with glass jars and use it in the kitchen.

My wooden tote will serve some drinks at these great parties:

Party Junk at Funky Junk Interiors
Vintage Inspiration Party at Knick of Time
Before and After Wednesday at The Dedicated House

19 comments:

Bente said...

Love your make over.
Have a great weekend

janice15 said...

A lovely tote and make over.. looks like kitty really wanted to sleep in it lol.. Nice.. Happy Autumn with love Janice

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I can't imagine why someone would toss that beauty in the garbage, but their loss is your gain! Love your makeover, Julia. Perfect for carrying and displaying just about anything.

Angie Chavez said...

Wow - what a lucky find! It was awesome before, and you made it awesome...er! :)

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

A awesome tote and makeover, my dear Julia. Love it! Have a wonderful weekend.
Sending hugs and love,
Marie

Lululiz said...

Amazing transformation, love the colour you picked and the fonts are perfect.

Junkchiccottage said...

Beautiful re love of this tote. Looks great. Have a wonderful week end Julia.
Kris

lynnesbowsandbelles said...

The perfect font selection, it certainly creates that pure feeling of Southern France along with the colour you worked it. A beautiful transformation.
Barney is so adorable and love the expression on your little helper's face!
Wishes
Lynne

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Omg what a find that was! Great make over, I can see a ton of uses....I agree...Maybe cat treats lol

Carol

suziqu's thread works said...

What a wonderful tote Helmut found you sweetie. It is one of the best ones I have seen with all the different compartments and looks perfect in the grey that you have painted it with the memories of South of France embedded in the printed words.
I'm sure Barney will sneak into when your back is turned!
Love and enjoy my sweet Julia,
Suzy xox

JoAnne said...

Love this makeover, Julia - it really looks great. Your hubby has a great eye for the perfect treasures. I think Barney is trying to decide if he will fit in one of the little slots! : )

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Love my totes!!! You found a great one . . . nice makeover . . . I know how much you love white . . . but I love it in its natural state :) Hope all is well for you and yours!! Barney is so CUTE!! xoxo

Dorthe said...

Hallo, liebe Julia,
what a lovely find, and so beautiful restored, to its new life as serving tote.
The grey tone with your gorgeous handpainted French , looks so lovely, and so does your drinks inside :-)
Are you still able to bring it to your garden for drinks, or is your weather also becoming colder ?
Julia I send you many big hugs and kisses-
Love, Dorthe

Rostrose said...

Oooooch, ab und zu wirst du dem Barney aber hoffentlich DOCH sein Futter darin servieren, oder?!?!?! ;o)))
Liebstige Julia, na siehst du, da schaffst du es endlich ein neues Posting ins www zu stellen - und bei mir dauert es Taaage, bis ich es mitbekomme, weil ich mich währenddessen in der großen weiten Welt herumtreiben muss ;o)) Dein Mann hat ein gutes Auge für schöne alte Dinge, die nach einer kleinen Kur noch so richtig was hermachen können! Da hat er was Tolles für dich angebracht, und du hast es zauberhaft aufgehübscht - mit Urlaubsflair sozusagen! Farbe und Aufschrift gefallen mir richtig gut! Herr Rostrose hat ja auch so seine Qualitäten, aber ein Auge oder einen Sinn für (O-Ton Edi:) "altes Klumpert" hat er nicht ;o))
Alles Liebe und herzhafte Mietzenkrauler,
Traude

Belladonna said...

I love it! Awesome project!

ULKAU said...

Dieses tolle Holzteil hätte ich auch sofort mitgenommen... und etwas Besseres hättest du kaum draus machen können! LG Ulrike

Sugar Lump Studios said...

This is so clever and beautifully re-purposed! I also love that you kitty >^..^< was involved in the project! Awesome project!!!!

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Oh, it's darling! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at The Round-Up from the Before & After Wednesday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to the Round-Up so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/10/the-round-up-from-before-after-wednesday_13.html Hope to see you again at the party. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Great makeover. My husband is constantly retrieving stuff from the trash and bringing it home. :)