July 02, 2015

Summer of Color Week 4

For this week, Kristin gave us 2 reds and 1 metallic to work with. First I thought, that this combination was even worse than last week’s purple and yellow but very soon I had several ideas popping up in my head. I considered painting a friend’s finger nails with a crazy pattern, creating an early Christmas card, and making a pretty berry dessert, decorated with bits of leaf gold. As you can see I dropped all those amazing ideas and sewed a cuff instead :).

Burdundy Red Dragonfly Cuff by Vintage with Laces

I played with all kinds of metallic buttons and finally chose a silver dragonfly as the focal point. The cuff turned out less embellished that I had in mind originally. I had tried to add more beads, other fabrics and scraps of lace but nothing really appealed to me. I just like a rather simple look for this piece.

If you didn’t participate in the challenge, what would you have created?

Summer of Color

Have a great weekend

and

 Happy 4th of July

to all my American friends!

21 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Oh wow, that is an awesome cuff. Great job.

Dorthe said...

And your simple look is so beautiful, dear Julia,- the rich berry tones and the silver dragonfly, does it all ! I love the fabric colours and the hexagon you sewed , such lovely work.
Julia your b-day card is on its way, just that you know ,something will arrive :-)
I hope your day is wonderful, -and send you hugs and kisses.
Love ,Dorthe

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh Julia I LOVE this cuff-reminds me of Victorian style in a way, and I would SO wear this!!

sue :) said...

Great work.x

Sharon Fritchman said...

I love the simple look of your beautiful cuff!!! It is absolutely gorgeous and a perfect representation of this week's SOC colors!

Mellowood Gallery said...

The cuff is absolutely perfect and the dragonfly such a nice addition. Great Job!

Createology said...

Beautiful and stunning cuff with just the right amount of embellishment. I really like each of your ideas for this color combination. High on Life July...

kat said...

Great work, beautiful!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Perfect! Sometimes less is more. Great idea, Julia.

Kristin said...

xo

Jenny said...

Fabulous idea Julia... love your red cuff... and the silver dragonfly is the perfect embellishment...

Jenny X

Lorraine said...

How lovely you chose a project of fabric and beads - great thinking. It's gorgeous.

Krisha said...

This cuff is beautiful Julia.
Thank you for joining me and the GDs for week 4, they are going to LOVE your comments....Thank you.

Valerie said...

Beautiful!
And something very different from the other SOC-entries :-)

Robyn Oliver said...

Simply -- really lovely cuff, nice red fabric

LonettA said...

Oh, this is so wonderful with the little dragonflies! I do love it!

Virginia said...

Oh this is gorgeous!

mandysea said...

This is just stunning! I love your berry tones and the little dragonfly is perfect!!! Oooh and you said you had hundreds of turtles in your garden.... wow!!! I'd love that!

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

very pretty :)I prefer the simple look for things as well

Anni - My Creative Life and Mixed Media Books said...

A simple look is what fits for this very beautiful cuff Julia, love the red color and the dragonfly.
Hugs Anni

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Sometimes less is more. Beautiful work as always, dear Julia.
Have a lovely day.
Hugs and love,
Marie

P.S.: Fixed my project:)