July 21, 2014

Welcome to a Blog Tour Stopover

I was recently invited by Laurel at Chipping with Charm to participate in a blog tour. Laurel and I met last year and I fell in love with her upcycled and repurposed furniture and her decoration ideas right away. She shares a booth with a friend in an antique mall and sells her wonderful creations at some shows as well.

Chipping with Charm

These are a few of Laurel’s repurposing projects. Don’t you just love the bed canopy built from an old ladder, the memo station that once was a kraut cutter or the shelf she had made out of two old drawers and a sign? The wood tote, repurposed into a fairy garden, and the tired stand, made from old cake pans, are such adorable ideas too. There are many more on her blog. If you didn’t have the chance yet to meet Laurel, please hop over to Chipping with Charm and take a look around.

Blog Banner Laurel
As part of the tour, I’m supposed to answer four questions and show some pictures. Here we go …

1. What are you working on right now?

I work on several things at the moment. One of them is a blog makeover. My header doesn’t reflect my current style and taste anymore. Exchanging the pictures would be easy but I like to get a totally new design. I also plan to give my blog a more organized look. If I had a budget for it, I would ask a web designer to recreate my blog outfit but I have to do it myself. This is a real challenge for me because I so much rather work with real materials and tools. Wish me luck :).

Another work in progress is this scrap quilt.

Scrap Quilt small

It had taken me a long time to finish the top and by the time it was done, my color taste had begun to change to more neutral colors. I hand quilted a few areas, but then the quilt took a nap for several years until recently. Now I’m ready to add some color to our interior again. Since I only quilt in the evenings while watching TV, it will take me some months though until the quilt will be finished.

Additionally, I work on are a mixed-media collage, a metal assemblage and display ideas for some of the fabric fishes I sewed last year.

2. How does my work differ from others in this genre?

That’s a tough one. What exactly is my genre? If you have followed me for a while, you have seen useful sewing projects, mixed media collages and art quilts, assemblages, altered arts, crafts, seasonal decorating, repurposing ideas, handmade jewelry, soldered items, a few crocheted pieces and more. I think, certain projects differ by the materials I combine. I like to mix lace with rusty parts, like in the “Rusty Flower Garden” wall hanging or the “For the Love of Lace and Rust” canvas.

Rusty Flower Garden               Rusty Flower Garden For the love of lace and rust    For the Love of Lace and Rust

I also use such contrasts in my decorations by putting a rusty junk tree on a doily or with lace embellished Easter eggs on rusty bed springs.

Rusty Junk Christmas Tree                   Rusty Junk Tree Easter decoration - Eggs on Rusty Springs       Easter Eggs on Bed Springs

3. Why do I write/create what I do?

I started blogging in 2009 to share my creations, decorations and my love for vintage treasures. From the beginning on, I’ve written my blog in English even though I’m German, because I wanted to get in contact with bloggers from all around the world.

Creating is not just a hobby, it’s a lifestyle for me. I’d be very unhappy if I couldn’t realize the ideas (or at least some of them) that come to my mind. I’m rarely uninspired. It happens more often that I find it difficult to decide which of all the projects on my “like-to-do” list to start next.

4. How does my creating process work?

Well, there is no specific process. Inspiration can hit me any time at any place. I might get an idea from some things I find while cleaning up my work table, something I’ve picked up in the garden or when I see an item at the junk yard, only to name a few occasions. Sometimes I start right away and the project is finished soon, on other creations I work in stages. Then it can take weeks, months or even years until completion.
*****
That’s enough about me. Now it’s my turn to provide new stops on the blog tour. You all know how life can get into our ways. That’s what happened to one of the three lovely ladies I wanted to introduce you to, but I still have two great blogs for you to visit.


I know and love Angie’s blog for several years now. She shares free antique graphics, her love of farmhouse living and how she turns total junk into unique recreations for her home. She hosts a weekly blog party named “Knick of Time Tuesday”, where everybody can link up vintage or vintage inspired themed posts.

Knick of Time

Angie comes up with a lot of great repurposing ideas and does wonderful furniture makeovers. You got to see the roll top desk she had just finished or the guest cottage reveal from some weeks ago.

Knick of Time 
The collage shows you just a few of my favorite projects from Angie’s blog. Please visit Knick of Time as well as Angie’s Etsy shop,where she sells her fabulous creations and vintage treasures.


I just recently found JoAnne’s blog but immediately liked the touches of blue in her home and her charming cottage style.
 A Pocketful of Blue Header

JoAnne says of herself, “I have a passion for decorating and turning our house into a cozy home. Cottage style is my favorite and I love to use soft colors, especially blue. I really enjoy shopping at flea markets, barn sales and vintage shops to find that special item to transform into something unique for our home. For me, spending time decorating and being creative are better for stress relief than a day at the spa any day.”

A Pocketful of Blue Collage
JoAnne and I do not only share the love for vintage treasures and decorations but also for cats. When you hop over to her blog, you’ll meet her super cute blog boss. Please visit JoAnne at
A Pocketful of Blue.

Thank you, Laurel for inviting me to the blog tour and thank you, Angie and JoAnne for playing along and continuing the blog tour next Monday.

Thank you for stopping by! Have a wonderful week!

21 comments:

chateau chic said...

Your creations are so Wonderful!!! Fun to read more about you and your passions.
Mary Alice

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Your blog is so beautiful, Julia, but I'm sure once you are done with the new look it will be beautiful in a new way. It is funny how our tastes and things we like change. I guess it is more apparent to us when we have a blog because it is literally right there in front of us to see. You've always had such beautiful creations. I know I will not be disappointed when I click on your most recent post! Have a great week!

Gigi Harlan said...

I love your rust flower garden and other rusty treasures! Great blog! Thank you for introducing me to a few other great bloggers too!

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

We are so much a like in what we love to create :) lovely post Julia! Ha ha when I first started blogging my colors were pink and black. Went through several transformations!!! I think your blog look is very nice!

Have a great week!

Xo

JoAnne Weisser said...

Julie ~ Thank you so much for introducing my blog today and the great little collage you put together! It was fun getting to know more about you also. I see you have many furry "bosses" in your life! : )

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

You know I'm a huge fan of all your lovely creations and always look forward to more. I know Angie and will now pop over to see JoAnne.

Rostrose said...

Liebstige Julia,
ich war ja richtig erstaunt, als ich deinen Quilt sah - so (relativ) bunt, wie ich es bei dir noch nie gesehen hatte. Offenbar ist es dir in gewisser Weise ähnlich wie mir ergangen: Eine Zeitlang mochte ich fast ausschließlich dezente Farben - weiß, taupe, beige, grau... Sowohl beim Wohnen als auch an mir selbst. Und im Garten wollte ich auch am liebsten weiße Blüten. Manche Farben wollte ich in meinem Umfeld ganz und garnicht sehen - gelb und orange zum Beispiel (obwohl ich die davor durchaus gemocht hatte) - und jetzt kehren diese Farben allmählich wieder... Bei mir hat das sicherlich auch mit der blogmäßigen Beschäftigung mit Farben (sprich mit der Aktion Buntes 2014) zu tun, aber nicht ausschließlich... Dein Header hat mir immer gefallen - aber mir kommt tatsächlich vor, dass dein Stil - trotz Beibehaltung von Nostalgie und Romantik - inzwischen weniger "lieblich" und etwas "klarer" geworden ist. Ich bin neugierig, wie sich dein Blogstil nun verändern soll - auf jeden Fall drücke ich dir feste die Daumen, dass alles klappt!!! Ich selber versuche diesem ganzen Technikkram auch immer möglichst lange auszuweichen, weil ich befürchte, irgend etwas komplett zu löschen oder sonst etwas durcheinander zu bringen...
Lass dich herzhaftest drücken, du Liebe!
Auf bald, die Traude

Draffin Bears said...

Dear Julia,

Your blog is beautiful and I wish you luck with the new look - was great to see some new blogs and thanks for sharing.
Also lovely to see what you are working on and your gorgeous creations. The quilt is beautiful.
Wishing you a happy week
hugs
Carolyn

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Thank you Julia! I think your header is lovely...but I can't wait to see your new look. I'm feeling a need for a change too. Maybe your new look will inspire me to get busy :) I always look forward to seeing what you are up to!! So glad you joined in on the tour! Chat soon, Laurel

cynthia lee designs said...

I follow your blog and all the blogs that you highlighted on the tour. Can't wait to see the new look on your blog.
~Cindy

amy of four corners design said...

how nice to learn a little more about you...always inspired by what you do - you have the perfect mixture of recycled rust with classic touches of refined finishes - such a pleasure to see...

Junkchiccottage said...

Julia,
This was so much fun to read and find out more about you. Love all your creative treasures.
Kris

Dorthe said...

My dearest Julia,
Congratulations on this beautiful feature , in compagny with the other wonderful bloggers-
How fun, that you are returning a bit to more colours in your home Julia, I do the same, even I never had such a beautiful all over white home as you ! So fun to read this "interview" with you sweet friend, and thank you for introdusing us to the other lovely ladies !
Your b.card went off yesterday :-)
Viele allerliebste grüsse, und umarmungen , hoffe deine wochenende sch¨n bleibst Sweet Julia.
Kys, kys, Dorthe

Ivy and Elephants said...

I loved hearing more about your creative inspirations and meeting the other bloggers, too. It's always a treat to see what you are up to!
Hugs,
Patti

must love junk said...

Julia, I think you are SO talented, and I love your creations, and your style! Great post :)
Susan

Junkchiccottage said...

How fun Julia to read your answers to the blog tour questions. Have a wonderful day my friend.
Kris

Jayne said...

A lovely insight into your creative life Julia. I love your new look too and the other blogs that you have suggested to us. Will take time to peruse them all. You have such a wide range of creative talents I am in awe of your inventiveness.

Rostrose said...

Ja aber HALLO!
Wen seh ich denn da in deinem Profilfoto!?!?!?! Freufreu, jetzt weiß ich endlich, wie du aussiehst, liebstige Julia - fesch und sympathisch nämlich und dann noch dazu mit einer schicken Mütze auf dem clever-kreativen Kopf! Ja, und ich kann mir auch vorstellen, dass dir der türkisfarbene Strohhut aus meinem vorigen Posting gut passen würde. Dank dir übrigens swehr für deinen lieben Kommentar - und stimmt, es war absolut richtig, mich nicht von eventuellen Bären oder Sittenstrolchen von meiner Reise abhalten zu lassen - noch dazu ist mir weder das eine noch das andere begegnet und auch kein Wolf, kein Elch oder sonstige Gefahren - nur jeeeede Menge Stechmücken (aber vor denen hat mich keiner gewarnt ;o))
Lass dich liebst drücken! Und Fellchenstreichler schick ich auch mit (stimmt es, dass bei dir jetzt noch eine Katze und eine Kater gibt?)
Hugs, Traude

Alexandra Eitel said...

Ich war schon immer ein Fan von Rost. Deine rostige Etagere oder dein Junk Tree gefällt mir jedenfalls super gut.
Und WOW dein Quilt wird bestimmt super.
l.G. Alex

Dortesjs said...

awww gorgeous creations

Belladonna said...

What a lovely bunch of information. Happy New Year!