Contrasts can be very exciting. I love culinary ones like in sweet and sour chicken or salted caramel but also visual ones. When I made the “Rusty and Weathered” wall hanging back in 2012, I was sure that it wasn’t the last time that I would combine lace and rust in a quilt. The soft and feminine laces and the rusty stains and parts had formed a contrast that I found very appealing.
Since then my stash of rusty treasures has grown and among others, I have collected several lightweight round motor parts that always remind me of flowers. It was time to make some of them bloom. I sewed a background using fabrics, laces and some pieces of a 100 year old sewing pattern.
For each blossom I combined several rusty components and added buttons in the middle. The stems were made from twine.
I machine quilted the background and free machine embroidered the leaf veins. For a three-dimensional look, I zigzagged down the leaf stems and attached the leaves from the back with one stitch to the background.
Thank you for stopping by in my rusty flower garden today. Next time you’ll meet a pretty funky bird :).
My flowers will bloom at these great parties: