December 16, 2013

Gift Wrapping and a Handmade Paper Glitter Ornament

Are you surprised? I bet you are. Yep, this neutral color loving girl has used a tiny touch of red in her Christmas gift wrapping – and she likes it. If you’re now worried, you don’t have to. This is most likely the only red you get to see here for a long, long time. At least until next Christmas ;).

The tags were easy to make. I printed out snowflakes on cardstock. Then I drew a circle on the back and cut around with pinking shears. The snowflake graphics were provided by The Graphics Fairy. Thank you, Karen! For the tiny glittered snowflakes I used a punch and added glass glitter.



Snowflake Tag
 Christmas Gift Wrapping
Christmas Gift Wrapping
Christmas Gift Wrapping

Christmas Gift Wrapping 
I recently fell in love with some origami ornaments I had pinned and wanted to try to make at least one. I found tutorials for several kind of such ornaments. I chose one called “twisted kusudama” and got started.

Paper Ornament
Such a flower ball consists of 12 flowers and each flower of 5 petals. That means I had to fold and glue 60 petals. I used vintage book pages and cut them into 1.5” squares. The finished ball is about 2.25” in diameter. After the 12 flowers were glued together, I added some glass glitter for a more Christmassy look. This is not a fast project and needs some patience. The good thing is that the folding is really easy. I’ve made 3 ornaments so far and folded most of the squares while watching TV in the evening. If you’d like to give it a try, you can find the download link to the tutorial here.

Have a great start into the week and don’t get too stressed out by the Christmas preparations.

I’ll be joining these wonderful parties:

Brag Monday at The Graphics Fairy
Knick of Time Tuesday at Knick of  Time
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Be Inspired at Common Ground
A Little Christmas in July at Thoughts from Alice

Hugs,
Julia

18 comments:

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Love your creativity! I'm also intrigued by the origami paper ornament. It looks difficult to make...but then again, I rarely sit down to craft but am a wannabe! LOL.

Nook and Cranny said...

Love, love the flower ball, beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your holiday.
Michele

Createology said...

Your wrapped gifts are serene and beautiful with the touch of red which makes them festive. Perfection! That twisted paper ornament is amazing. Creative Bliss Dear...

Jayne said...

Your gift wrapping is beautiful, love the touch of red, it just enhances the neutral palette and makes it stand out. The ornament is a labour of love, it is amazing. I am about to wrap tomorrow, I am using hand stamped brown paper with raffia and coffee dyed stamped tags, hope it turns out as pretty as yours Julia. love jx

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Just lovely, Julia!!!!

Hope you have a wonderful week!

xoxo

Bente said...

Love your gift wrapping. It`s beautiful.

Hugs from here

Dorthe said...

Hallo liebe süsse, Julia.
What beautiful and lovely gifts wrapping you made,- those tiny red accents are really lovely.
Your origami folding looks gorgeous,-I took a look ate the link you added, and I must say the materials makes a world of difference.... your creation is absolutely beautiful, in the old paper, and with the little glitter.
Julia I hope your christmas preparations are soon ended, and wishes you a frohes weihnachten mit Helmuth .Ich hoffe dass meine geschickte karte ,ist beim dir, vor nächster wochenende ,ist schon lange unterwegs!
Alles gute, für dich liebe freundin. Küsse und liebe hugs.
Dorthe

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi dear Julia,
your gifts look lovely with the pretty tags and the Origami ornament is beautiful. I don't think I could do this:)Have a wonderful week.
Hugs and love,
Marie

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Your packages are beautiful. I'd have a hard time opening up something of pretty. Love your ornament!!

FrauHummel said...

Guten Morgen, liebe Julia!
Ich musste grad ein wenig grinsen. Gemessen an dem, was ich hier im Moment zelebriere, ist das bisschen rot bei dir beinahe vernachlässigbar! ;oD Deine Päckchen sind einfach superschön, ich mag ja auch gerne diese feinen, zarten Töne. Aber, und jetzt kommt's: Dieses Jahr sind meine Päckchen in rot, beige und grün gehalten. Also richtig fette Farben, verglichen mit dem, was man in meiner Wohnung sonst so findet! Irgendwie war mir nach diesen typischen Weihnachtsfarben, und da ich versuche, mich zu nichts mehr zu zwingen oder Dinge zu tun, weil man sie von mir erwartet, wird es dieses Jahr bunt bei FrauHummel! Ausserdem hatte ich ein süsses Papier gefunden, creme und beige mit altmodischen Kinderbildern drauf. Aber ich mag das sehr, es sieht schön aus und ist halt so richtig nostalgisch. Übrigens dürfen jetzt auch wieder mein bunter Erzgebirge-Nussknacker und das Schaukelpferdchen raus. Fotos folgen auf meinem Blog!
Der Stern ist wunderhübsch, zauberhaft! Hachz, ich liebe solche Dingens!
Huiii, und jetzt geht's mit Riesenschritten....!! Ich wünsche dir noch eine entspannte, gemütliche Woche und schicke hanz liebe Grüsse!
Herzlichst
FrauHummel

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Just beautiful! I've made the origami flowers...so I know what you mean about "patience"...but it turned out lovely :)

Wish You Were Here said...

Ooooooh, I love the folded flower ornament - it is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the tutorial! Hugs, Janice

Curtains in My Tree said...

They are beautiful all of them
I am whining I didn't have time to make any this season

merry Christmas

Anneke said...

dear Julia.
what a lovely christmas post from you and your giftwrappers are gorgeous.
i wish you a wonderful christmas and a big hug for you.
Ann

Anni - My Creative Life said...

Wow the flower ball is so wonderfully made dear Julia, you have done a fantastic work with it, beautiful gift tags with red snowflakes. Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year dear friend.
Hugs Anni

thistlewoodfarm said...

Those are so pretty that I thought you stitched them!

I love your pallet wood tree, too!

Merry Christmas!
karianne

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Wow! That ornament is fantastic! Sadly, I have little patience. :) Your gift wrapping is gorgeous. Happy holidays, Tammy

Anni - My Creative Life said...

Dear Julia Wow I love your junk parts Christmas tree it is so wonderful and the mirror is a fantastic Christmas decoration, wish you a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Hugs Anni