Ever since I had heard about the Erosion Bundle Project back in 2010, it was on my to-do list to bundle up some fabrics, laces and metal pieces to be corroded by the elements while hanging outside. It had rained for several days in April,when I looked through my stash, gathered some things, tied up a package and hung it from the balcony. I was hoping for some more rain now and then but except for one tiny rain shower that lasted about 10 minutes, we didn’t see any water coming down from above for the next 5 months. So you might like to consider this idea if you want to have permanent sunshine, lol. After a few weeks dear hubby felt sorry for me and started watering my bundle. However, due to the warm weather it always dried up too fast and there was no impact. Then I got the idea to hang it underneath the drain of our A/C. There it would get constantly irrigated during the day. I opened my bundle 2 months later and that had worked out very well. The fabrics had rusty stains from the metal pieces as well as mildew stains from a couple of fern leaves I had added to the package. Some fabrics were wonderfully eroded. The smell was pretty ugly though but I got rid of that by soaking everything in a mixture of vinegar and baking soda for some hours and then washing by hand carefully.
This is the quilt I created, using the fabrics, laces and metal pieces of my erosion bundle.
To accent the holes, I used a black woolen material as background that had not been part of the bundle.
You might think that this creation was outside the box for me but it didn’t feel like that at all. Everything fell into place easily, like I had done it a lot of times before. With my next erosion bundle I’ll wait a little bit because for now I enjoy some rainy days after the long hot summer and don’t want to drive the rain away ;-).
Have a happy week!