April 05, 2011

Fashion and Spring - A Wonderful Swap

It’s time now to reveal the wonderful swap I had with my very dear friend and talented artist Dorthe over at Den Lille Lade. We had decided to create a book along with some other things. I will start with the gifts that Dorthe had sent me. My desired theme was “fashion”.

This is the gorgeous fabric book I have received.

1bookcreated by Dorthe

Each page has a pretty pocket to stash tags, cabinet cards etc.

1book detail1 created by Dorthe

Dorthe has used lots of yummy laces :-).

1book detail2 created by Dorthe

Aren’t those details just fabulous?

1book detail4 created by Dorthe

Dorthe had filled some of the pockets with beautiful tags and other lovely items.

1tag1created by Dorthe

In one of the pockets I found a pretty organza glove. Another sweet gift from Dorthe was this hand made hat.

1tags and hat1  created by Dorthe

The dress form pattern of the tag above can be found again on this fantastic doll. Isn’t this such a cool idea?

1dressform doll  created by Dorthe

Dorthe spoiled me even more with this pretty lavender pillow. It smells just heavenly.

1lavender pillow  created by Dorthe

If these gifts hadn’t been more than enough, she added to my Easter decoration by sending me all those beautiful eggs.

 1eggs created by Dorthe

A sweet charm for me to wear and a lovely card were also included in the package.

1card  created by Dorthe

1charm created by Dorthe

You can probably imagine that I was over the moon when I unwrapped all those fantastic gifts.

Thank you so much, dear Dorthe!!! I LOVE each and every piece and will treasure them forever. I just wish I could give you a real, very big hug, sweetie. Maybe one day … :-).

A lot of you know Dorthe already, but if you have never been to her blog before, please hop over to this sweetheart’s place Den Lille Lade or visit her Etsy-Shop.

♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥ - ♥

Now I show you what I’ve made for Dorthe. Her desired theme was “spring” and she had wished for a book to store the ATCs she has collected over the years. I wanted the cover of the book as well as the pages to be sturdy, so that the ATCs wouldn’t get scrunched or bent. My first attempts to construct the book didn’t satisfy me. Then my dear hubby suggested to just use an old account statement folder. That was a great idea and worked out perfectly! Thank you, honey :-)!

With an image provided by “The Graphics Fairy” I created this book cover.

1ATC book

1ATC book detail1 1ATC book detail3

For the pages I created paper collages on cardboard and added laces and buttons. To display the ATCs, I made pockets using tulle. That way the little cards can still be seen well. Of course I couldn’t send out the book “empty” and therefore created an ATC to put into one of the pockets.

1ATC book detail2

1ATC

Here are some book page details.

1book detail2

1book detail3

This stamped image looks so spring like and I thought it would be wonderful to be used on a bookmark.

1bookmark1 

Inspired by Lisa and her awesome altered bottles, I soldered this one for Dorthe.

1bottle

For the card I printed my one of my favorite bird images on fabric. This lovely illustration had been provided by Dawn a while ago.

1card

Finally I added a basket of freshly picked sewn strawberries for Dorthe to enjoy.

1basket with strawberries

1strawberries2 

This was such a fun swap and I loved putting together that spring themed package for Dorthe. With freezing temperatures outside, it was especially nice to have a bit of spring in the studio. In the meanwhile the weather got warmer here and it feels like spring, although the skies are gray right now.

Have a wonderful week!

HUGS,

Julia

42 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Dear Julia,

I love the swap gifts you and Dorthe exchanged.
You are both so very talented and must have been thrilled with the gifts.

Have a happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh my goodness Julia what exquisite artwork from both of you beautiful friends to each other.
You must have thought that all your Christmasses must have come at once. So much love, thought, care and pleasure in making such well thought out gifts - I just love the themed idea of the journals. It's all just so much beauty for the eyes to treasure as keepsakes for both of you.
Love and hugs to you Julia,
Suzy

A Vintage Chic said...

Oh, my goodness...what beautiful gifts you've made for each other...I'm just sitting here soaking it all in.

I LOVE Dorthe. One of the sweetest women in blogland, I think. You both made your gifts with so much thougt, imagination, care and love...so glad you shared them today!

LOVE those sweet strawberries, Julia...they're so perfectly springy!

Wishing you ever warmer days & a beautiful week, my friend...

Julie

kathy mc said...

How beautiful. What treasures!

minnamarika said...

It´s pure magic what you ladies can create!!!! Your gifts are so beautiful, unigue, straight from the heart - full of love and joy!! Thank you for sharing :-))

Have a wonderful week!

Sassy Marsha said...

So beautiful what you received and made. You two ladies are so talented! Such lovely gifts!!

xxoo

Lori Katies Rose Cottage said...

Oh my goodness Julia
those are absolutely over
the top gorgeous!!!
Wowww!!!
Thank you for sharing with us!!

xoxo
Lori

FredaB said...

Both what you gave and what you received were indeed works of art. I loved every single piece.

You are both very lucky.

Hugs

FredaB

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Dear Julia,
what a truly wonderful swap between you and Dorthe.Each piece
you and Dorthe created are just gorgeous!!Love them all.TFS.
Have a wonderful week my friend.
Ganz liebe Gruesse &
Hugs,
Marie

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Wow! I can't pick a favorite thing. Beautiful. All the yummy lace.

sonya said...

Hi Julia,
Oh my goodness, I am just in awe of both of you girls' work! Just beautiful. Every bit of it. You both have such gifts. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Sonya

Rostrose said...

Oh my god, liebstige Julia - da weiß ich ja gar nicht, wen von euch beiden ich mehr beneiden soll um diese wundervollen Geschenke bzw. um euer großes Talent: Wunderwunderschön! (Mit "beneiden" meine ich natürlich niemals "missgönnen" - eh klar!) Ich hoffe, neben dem Erhalt und der Herstellung von solchen Schätzen hast du auch Zeit, schon mal den Frühling zu genießen. Bei uns macht er heute zwar Pause, aber morgen soll's schon wieder schöner sein - freu freu! Ich schick dir ganz herliebe Küschelbüschel - und der Cecil wird zwischen den Öhrchen gekrault! Auch Mäx und Nina grüßen schnurrend!
Auf bald, trau.mau

JoAnne said...

You and Dorthe are both amazing! Simply STUNNING!!!!!

June said...

Julia I think I am speechless. This has got to be the most beautiful swap of treasures and artwork I have ever seen. You and Dorthe are such talents and I get so much inspiration from you both. Your art blesses all of us who see it and I thank you for sharing it with us.
The altered bottle that you made was truly amazing. I always imagine you in your studio creating all kinds of lovelies. And that is what I think of when I think of Dorthe too. You would be surprised how much I think about the two of you and Lovey and Dawn and Lisa when I am creating my own artwork. I believe that when create with all these gorgeous textures and things made by the hands of others we cannot help but be blessed.
sending hugs to you....

Fabric Art said...

Dear Julia, you and Dorthe are both very talented and creative artists, your swap gifts to each other are so wonderfully made.
Hugs Anni

Dorthe said...

Hallo meine liebe Julia-
I so enjoyed swapping with you, dear friend- and I love all your beautifully made,-and beautifull gifts. Thankyou for showing everything so lovely here,you took fantastic photoes-thankyou, mine was not in the right colors........ -I truly hope we will meet one day, dear friend-- one way or the other, it should be a possibility :), don`t you think ?

Ich wünsche dir einer schöner abend--es ist späht ,und ich will bald in bet gehen , gute nacht,-und schlaff wohl, liebste.
Ich schicke dir menge von dickes umarmen und ein paar ganz liebe küsse-- kys,kys og varme knus-
deine Dorthe

Anneke said...

wow, i am overwelmed with seeing these beauties.
this work is so very delicate and beautiful.
you must be so happy to have these little treasures.
have a nice day julia and hugs !

Jingle said...

Oh, this is all so gorgeous!

Evy said...

What beautiful exchanges, your friend and you made wonderful objects, everything is magnificent! The choice of fabrics, and laces, haughtiness - congratulation!

Beautiful day

Guriana said...

great swap!!.. I love each item and each detail!!:))
xox
Guriana:)

Martina2801 said...

Du lieber Himmel.....ich kann mich gar nicht satt sehen.....was sind das für traumhaft schöne Dinge....ich bin komplett von der Rolle, liebe Julia.
Liebe Grüße
MARTINA oxo

Diane said...

Julia and Dorthe, you have both OUTDONE yourselves! Everything is absolutely beautiful - some of the best creations you've ever done!
Treasures!!
Hugs and blessings, Diane

fairyrocks said...

Your work is WONDERFUL,
Just popping in from Artful Musing.
I am properly amazed. Thanks for sharing, keep smiling and creating

Carole said...

OMG I looked at all these gorgeous creations on my phone right after you posted and I was speechless. It's taken me this long to find the words to write how incredible all of it is. How do you both do it? I am such a hack at all this and just stand here wondering how you're able to know just the right things to add and just where to add it. It all comes together like it's meant to be.

Ok going back to my dirt now....haha

I'm just so happy to have my own Julia original of my own.

xx
Carole

Birgit said...

Liebe Julia,
faszinierend! Was sind das alles wieder für zauberhafte Sachen. Besonders das traumhaft romantische Buch von Dorthe hat es mir absolut angetan.
Viele liebe Grüße
Birgit

Robin said...

What beautiful gifts created from the heart for each other! Both of you gals are so very talented. Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs,
Robin

Heather Jacob said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!!! absolutely stunning work here on your amazing blog .. exquisite and elegant .... love it ALL !!!! my first time here and I'll be back for sure .... I am in awe .. hugz x

Tarnished and Tattered said...

Julia,
First off I just want to say...I miss you! Second...Wow! What an amazing swap you too had. You girls are in my top faves list & the swaps I've done with you are so dear to me. What a great way to display ATCs, you adorned it perfectly. I'm working on a little 'blog book' to display tags & such from you & other friends. I love how you did this. I love the soldered bottle you did & I recognize the bird nest image from Dawn as you used it on my fabric collage.That Dorthe is something else. That dress form doll is the coolest! All of the treasures she made are amazing of course.
Have a great week sweetie!

All That Jazz said...

I don't remember when I have seen such stunning creations all in one place! Each and every thing is beautiful.

Thank you for coming by and joining our giveaway and all the way from Germany! Have a wonderful week!

Tara~All That Jazz Vintage

Brianne said...

Hi, Julia. I absolutely love your book. Your use of laces is enchanting. I love the bird page. I hope that Spring decides to stay with you and the days grow ever more delightful as the breezes accompany you on some afternoon walks.

Bunty said...

Swoon! What beautiful swap goodies - I'm so envious - I never get to hear of such swaps!

Enjoy your beautiful items and thanks for sharing.

Thanks also for leaving good wishes and a comment over on my blog.

Barbara

Lululiz said...

What an incredible swap! You have both created such amazing treasures, I am just lost for words. Absolutely outstanding. Wow.

Nancy Maxwell James said...

Julia
these are ALL such gorgeous treasures! So many lovely things to see - what a swap! Thanks for sharing your talents (and Dorthe's) with us!

Scrappycath said...

Hi! I love your blog! Just wanted to let you know that I shared your blog today over at Ideas For scrapbookers: http://ideasforscrapbookers.blogspot.com/2011/04/ask-artists.html

Marge said...

Dearest Julia,

I can only say WOW!!!! What a photos I can see, so LOVELY things!!!! You both are very talent women!!!

♥HAPPY EASTER♥

smokeysmom said...

One of these days, you'll have to put together a tutorial on how to make your fabulous journals. Do you attach fabric to heavy duty paper? Please, oh please teach me! Your pieces are so gorgeous and I'd love to make a couple "lace" journals as gifts. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful art:) Hugs, Maggie

Rostrose said...

Liebe Julia, vielen Dank für deine Grüße und die lieben Katzenstreicheleinheiten! :o) Ich bin noch mal auf einen kurzen Sprung zu dir gehüpft, um dir wunderschöne Ostern für dich und deine Lieben zu wünschen! Herzlichste Rostrosengrüße & Küschelbüschel lass ich dir auch noch da - UND Öhrchenkrauler!!! :o)
Traude

Draffin Bears said...

Happy Easter dear Julia to you and your family.hope that all is well with you.

Hugs & blessings
Carolyn

LiLi M. said...

This is such an inspiring post sigh.......

Wishing you lovely Easter Julia, I think the weather will be perfect for enjoying the garden, or visiting a flea market. Have fun whatever you do!

Oxana said...

WOW Julia! GORGEOUS creations here! I love this post! Have a wonderful Easter!
Many hugs
Oxana

Gaby Bee said...

Wunderschöne Sachen hast du von Dorthe bekommen, du Glückliche:)

Ich möchte dir nur schnell noch Frohe Ostern wünschen. Melde mich demnächst ausführlicher...

Liebe Grüße,
Gaby

starrynightimpressions said...

Julia, that is the most beautiful swap I've ever seen!! You both are wonderfully talented!
Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting about my hippie umbrella :)
blessings,
starrydeborah