February 18, 2010

About Motivation, a Collage and something I couldn't throw away


I do not only get inspired very often when I read blogs, but also motivated. The collage I will show you today would probably not exsist, if

KAREN over at "Some Days are Diamonds"

hadn't asked her readers at the end of January what projects they were working on or had already created for Valentine's Day.
In Germany Valentine's Day has not the significance that it has in the US. Of course flowers, chocolates and possibly small presents are given but there is usually not that much decoration, sending out cards etc. Nevertheless I had planned on doing some Valentine's Day decoration but couldn't seem to get myself started. So, when Karen asked about the Valentine projects, I hadn't done anything yet but her question had motivated me. I took a box of pink fabrics out of the cabinet. Good start so far :-). I checked my vintage images that would go with the theme and printed one onto fabric. Laces were still laying around from the last project and so I picked some and dyed them in matching pink and peachy colors. So far so good but I couldn't really work on the collage because my studio was a real mess from the last project and I actually would need to clean it up at least a little bit before I could go on. Now

JODIE from "Everything Vintage"

 came into play. She posted that her studio would need to be tidied up and playfully asked if someone would come over to help her. Of course I would have loved to help, but she lives just too far away. I'm so SORRY, Jodie ;-). I don't know why, but her post motivated me to at least "dig out" my cutting table. It had been buried under sheet music, vintage letters and book pages, pieces of lace and fabric scraps. Even though the rest of the room was still not cleaned up, I could work now on the collage and it was finished on Valentine's Day. A little bit late, I admit, but without Jodie's unintentional push it still wouldn't be completed.

Thank you so much, girls!!!
You got me going!

A funny coincidence is that my motivators were both in the same Vintage Valentine Fat Book Swap. Please hop over to check out their beautiful blogs and scroll down a bit to take a look at the gorgeous fat book they received from that swap! You will drool over the pretty pages Jodie, Karen and the other participants had created!

Here now my finished collage and some detail pictures:












 Since LOVE is a great theme not only for one but for 365 days a year, the collage will hang it in my studio all year round.

I would like to share with you what I have used for the frame. Last year I bought a children's puzzle at the flea market. It would have been easy to store the whole thing but I just had the idea to keep the puzzle pieces in a jar. I had put the cardboard that helt the pieces almost in the trash when I gave it a second thought and kept it. You never know .... This happens all the time to me since I started with mixed media and it's part of the reason why my small studio is so crowded. Anyway, I was happy I kept it because it made a great frame for my collage.

This is how it looked before I had painted it:




What kind of "trash" have you used lately in your creations?

Have a wonderful day, dear friends! Here it is snowing again. I wish you a more pleasant weather!

Hugs,
Julia

33 comments:

Lululiz said...

Ah, so romantic, feminine, pretty, delicate, and above all PINK! Its great! All those fabulous little details, how long does it take you to create a piece like this?

Terri Gordon said...

This is very beautiful, love all the details and the color. Just wonderful.

Leanne said...

oh my gosh. This is just so beautiful... And I have a couple of jigsaws that I've been meaning to use for ever. I never thought of using it as a frame!

Karen said...

Julia -
I wish you were closer, cause I'd give you a big hug. You are TOO SWEET! This is one of the most beautiful pieces! My goodness, the detail. The pink is just perfect and all the lace and the gorgeous buttons! It is so soft looking and feminine. And you framed it from an old children's puzzle! What a GREAT IDEA!!! You claim that I inspired you - but OH MY GOODNESS have you got my mind swirling!

That Jodie - isn't she just a sweetheart? I am so thrilled we "met" last year and we get to meet for real in a few months! Very exciting! She has been a huge motivational factor to me. Just love her to pieces!

Thank you so much for your wonderful kind words. You have made my day!

And this piece - this creation of yours - uhhhhh . . . well . . . if you have it hanging in a certain spot in your home, and you come home one night and it isn't there, I'd go look in Jodie's house, but definitely don't come looking in mine . . . (hehehe)

Have a wonderful day! Enjoy your snow - we are supposed to get rain this weekend and we sure do need it!

Thank you Miss Julia! What a great post!
Hugs! Karen @ Some days are diamonds

Lori said...

This is positively GORGEOUS!!! On a puzzle board, no less! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!

Julie said...

Wonderful post, Julia! So much to inspire out there in blogland, and now you've inspired me! It's so wonderful how it just keeps going round and round isn't it? We learn and we share...it's such a good thing!

Such a beautiful love collage--every detail and embellishment you added is just perfection!
Hope you're having a wonderful day!

Sandy said...

Julia was für eine fantastische Collage.
Jedes einzelne Detail ist ein echter Hingucker. Da stimmt einfach alles. Harmonie pur.

sissie said...

This is so beautiful and romantic. I would say you were "indeed," inspired by those wonderfully creative bloggers.

Since I have been blogging, my creativity is on overload! But, I love it.

hugs
Sissie

marie said...

Your collage is so pretty ~ I love all the different shades of pink! Th only dyeing I've ever done is with tea or coffee. What kind of dye do ou use?
I also find blogs inspiring and motivating...I just need to find a little more time in my life to follow though! : )

By the way ~ the puzzle board as a base is an excellent idea!! I see those at the thrift store all th time.

Now I think I will spend the rest of my work break visiting those who have motivated you! Thank you for sharing about them.

Debby said...

WOW!!! Absolutely gorgeous!
Debby

Jodie LeJeune said...

Juuuuuulia...
I AM SO BUYING YOU A PLANE TICKET so that you can come play with ME!!!

Your collage is GORGEOUS!!!! I just love love LOVE it! And to think you used the backing of a puzzle board...you are a creative GENIUS!

*So what airport do you want to fly out of?

Oh my gosh...I keep scrolling up to look at it and down again to tell you how much I love it but I just can't find the right words except...GORGEOUS! {Does that out-do "beautiful"???} ;)

And to think that little ole me inspired you in some sort of way. (I'm blushing) Now Karen...YES I can believe that. Her "new" studio is sooooo pretty and her energy is out of this world. Can you imagine if you put the three of us together?

**So will a week's stay here in the states be okay?

Have I told you lately that I'm so glad I found you???? YOU are an inspiration to ME!!! Now that my little creative heaven is basically cleaned up...you make me want to go in there and mess it all up again!!!

***So would you like an aisle or a window seat?

But unfortunately, I can't go make a mess and create anytime soon. I'm just getting over Mardi Gras and I do have to go to work. Yes, real work. (which I'm in the office right now, shhh don't tell anyone). Maybe this weekend for sure. The boys will be racing so I'll have the whole house to myself. ahhhh

I have to fly you down here Julia...we'd have so much fun!
Thank YOU for the inspiration (and the temptation of getting fired too~!)

;)
everything vintage

LiLi M. said...

That collage is simply gorgeous!
Well I had a few books lying there to go to the Goodwill and suddenly I thought..the one with the pink pages could well be turned into ....:-) hehehe the rest is history. I will probably mail your prize this weekend, I have been so busy. :-(

Birgit said...

Ist das eine Traum-Collage, liebe Julia. Bin total verliebt darin. Und eine tolle Idee mit dem Kinderpuzzle. Die Collage ist mit so vielen zauberhaften Details ausgeschmückt. Bin einfach total hin und weg.
Auf zwei ganz tolle Blogs weist Du auch hin. Genau wie Dein schöner Blog sind beide auch wirklich sehr inspirierend.
Viele liebe Grüße,
Birgit

Thespa said...

Lovely! And what a wonderful idea to reuse that puzzle board. As a mom of 3 kids we've had our fair share of empty puzzle boards over the years, but for some reason I never thought to save that most excellent and useful item. Great way to think outside the box!

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

that is sooooo pretty...i love all of your soft coloured detailing...well done!

thanks for sharing..and yes, there is much inspiration in blogland ... it's great!

ciao
carmelina

June said...

I love your beautiful Valentine collage Julia. It is so lovely and I love all the vintage touches that you have added to it. I know what you mean about the inspiration we garner from others here in this blogging community. I have been doing a little creating myself. Inspired by some amazing bloggers. Thank you sharing these two great gals who inspired you lately.
hugs

Femmy said...

what a fantastic collage!! love all bits and pieces you added!!

vintage wil said...

Your collage is gorgeous!!!

T's Daily Treasures said...

Fabulous! I love that you worked it within the frame of an old puzzle. That is just a fantastic idea. Gorgeous collage. I am so inspired by so many but can't seem to get going on any one thing at the moment. We all hit dryspells, right?? Wishing you much joy and many blessings, Tammy

tarnishedandtattered.blogsot.com said...

Julia,
Oh your VD collage is wonderful. It's funny you mentioned Jodie & Karen. I was visitng both of thier blogs yesterday! I can see how they could inspire. I love all of the little elements you used in the piece, & the puzzle frame...Brilliant! Love it all friend. Lisa

Draffin Bears said...

Dear Julia,

Your collage is simply gorgeous ~ love everthing about it, and using the back of a jigsaw puzzle...
what a wonderful idea.
I think we all were really inspired by Jodie and all the other girls fabulous Fat books ~ I know I had to look at each one and marveled at how beautiful they are.

I hope that you are having a wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Carolyn

stefanie said...

wow, you are sooo creative, it gorgeous!

Viola said...

Traumhaft schön, Julia!! Ganz tolle Collage! Wünsche Dir einen schönen Sonntag! Liebe Grüße! :-)

A Fanciful Life said...

Hi Julia, thanks so much for the birthday wishes. Your collage is soooo beautiful. Of course, pink is my favorite color. I love all the detail. And your Cecil is adorable! Perhaps he'd like to meet my Miss Gracie?
Sharon :-)

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

I love recycling too as you know. This came out so well!!! gorgeous in fact.
I just used old tin cans the other day for Valentines containers! so easy and cheap!
xo...Carole

Tracey said...

Julia your collage is beautiful!!! Great job! And how fun that you got time to be creative! I too get so much motivation and inspiration from being a part of this whole blog world...isn't it great?!

:) T

Cassandra said...

Wow this is amazing! Your collage is breath taking! Thanks so much for sharing, and thanks for stopping by to visit me yesterday :) Cassandra

The Feathered Nest said...

Your love collage is so beautiful Julia!!!!! I love each and every detail! What a wonderful idea to re purpose that puzzle back for the base of your artwork too...I just love doing things like that!! Thanks so much for stopping by to see me, hugs and love, Dawn

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

What a pretty collage!

I use trash in my art all the time. I just finished making a Day of the Dead shrine out of a canned ham tin.
I call it the shrine to the Day of the Dead Ham.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the breadcrumbs for me to find my way here - you have a terrific spot here - and I love our header!

Yitte said...

So beautiful love the fabric and the pink color.

Terri said...

Julia, your Valentine piece is just beautiful! All the details are so perfect.
Thank you for coming by my blog and for all your very kind comments.
I am enjoying looking through yours!

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

Oh my goodness Julia, this is absolutely stunning!!!! Oh I just love all of the beautiful vintage details you added and of course I just love the pink color! :) You are so talented Julia and I am always so inspired when I see your stunning creations!!
Hugs & Love,
Carol Anne

http://ga-liswelt.blog.de said...

Hello julia,
I love your blog and your beautiful vintage details you added.
Regards Gaby