January 15, 2010

A Little Sewing Studio

It must be for about 10 years now that my dear friend Liz and I know each other. We first met at a regional quilter's gathering of a German online quilt group. Liz showed me a crab she had hand appliquéd. I was totally stunned by her gorgeous work. You wouldn't believe how tiny the crab legs were. Some weeks later Liz taught me how to appliqué and we are best friends ever since. She is the queen of appliqué and makes the most beautiful quilts. For the last two years I haven't done much quilting but a lot of mixed media and altered art projects. One of those had been a box, decorated with all kinds of sewing items. Liz had liked that box and I thought I would make something similar for her. So for Christmas I gave her this little sewing studio. Since she too loves pink I could do it in my favorite color:


In a miniature dollhouse shop I bought some small baskets, a sewing machine, scissors, a glass vase and a dress form because those were things I couldn't make myself. The base of the dress form had been a little bit too wide and so I replaced it by a thread spool.

The shelf had originally been a small shadow box itself. It had the perfect size, I just had to get rid of the roof and the molding, turn it and paint it white.

 


I had some tiny spools and thought it would be nice to have a spool holder. So I made one from a round wood chip, a little wooden stick, a bead and some toothpicks:



For this tiny pincusion I used a button as a base and I also made that little quilt journal:



Every quilter has at least one scrap basket, so here we go:

 



Liz also likes to embroider and therefore I filled a basket with floss bobbins. It had been quite a challenge to cut those tiny cardboard bobbins (1/4" width) and wind the floss around.



I added bolts and piles of fabric as well as ribbons and laces.



Liz had let me borrow this picture with a Cent she had taken to show the dimensions of the notions.



I had a lot of fun working on that sewing studio for Liz and I'm so glad that she loves it.

Have a great Friday and stay warm, dear friends!

Hugs,
Julia

26 comments:

LiLi M. said...

Your friend must have been thrilled! You did such a terrific job, not only making those little things in perfect scale, but I love love love your use of color too! This is the coldest winter I can remember and you? Stay warm too and have a great weekend!

Karen said...

That is one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever seen. The thought, time and patience that went into it show your feelings for your friend. MY GOODNESS! I'm going cross-eyed just trying to imagine working with those tiny, tiny little pieces. You added every necessary detail for a true work of art. What a wonderful job! You have one lucky friend!
Thanks for sharing this. What a wonderful way to start my day - you are the first post I've read today and it is just perfect.
HAGD! Karen

Rostrose said...

Liebe Julia, das "Näh-Studio" ist ja DER absolute Wahnsinn! So hübsch und mit so vielen süßen & guten Ideen - ein echtes TRAUM-Geschenk!!!
Alles Liebe und ein wunderschönes Wochenende,
Traude

BellaRosa said...

Julia, how absolutely beautiful! I love tiny lil things, ever since I was a lil girl...I loved things that I could fit into lil bity boxes and carry them around. I felt like these boxes were tiny worlds of treasures that I so cherished, even to this day I love them. What a beautiful gift you made for your best friend...I can't even imagine all the time consuming work that you did to make all those things so tiny, but they are beautiful and have me in awe..Lucky her to be so loved by a friend like you :) Besos, Rose

Zuzu said...

Hi Julia,
This is just wonderful! Love every little tiny detail - and I'm sure your friend will too!
Happy Friday,
Zuzu

Sandy said...

Julia, das ist ein absoluter Traum.
Eine Wahnsinnsarbeit. Ich kann nur staunen und staunen.

Ich wünsche Dir ein tolles WE meine Liebe.

Andrea said...

That is so adorable, I just love it! What a lucky friend!

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

Hello Julia,
Nice to meet you! We already have so much in common my fellow lover of fabric & lace. Thank you for visiting me and leaving such a sweet note.

Sunday Roses said...

...ich will auch deine Freundin sein...lach...Julia, das ist der KNALLER! Wann hast du das denn alles zurechtgepysselt?? Wunderschön!
Liebe Grüße
Beate

Grace said...

Julia I love your house shelf! And it's pink...thank you so much for visiting me today Happy Pink Saturday Hugs Grace

Draffin Bears said...

Dear Julia,

How lucky your friend is ~ everything you made is so dainty and beautiful.
I love your work and the time that has gone into this wonderful little sewing studio.

I hope that you are staying warm and having a lovely weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

My mouth dropped when I saw the 1st image and it just got better and better. The patience to work on something so small. You really couldn't tell HOW small til you put that coin next to it.
What a lucky friend!
xo,
Carole

Martha's Favorites said...

Your work is amazing. She is one lucky woman. Blessings, Martha

fräulein klein said...

Hallo Julia, Dein Nähstudio ist ja toll! Eine wundervolle Idee!!!!
Ich wünsche Dir noch einen schönen Sonntag,
viele liebe Grüße, Yvonne

Kim Dellow said...

Oh my goodness that is just so beautiful. Love it. Kim

purplepaint said...

Oh this is fabulous!!! I'm sure she loved it! You're so talented! Marva

Nancy Maxwell James said...

Julia
what a wonderful treasure you have created for your friend! each little embellishment is so darling! I know she will be thrilled!

Dorthe said...

Hi dear,
how wonderfull,it is,
I love this tiny ,tiny things, and this is all so sweet, it is a great gift, for your friend.
You made a wonderfull thing to treasure for ever.
Love and hugs, Dorthe

Xela said...

Der kleine Setzkasten ist soooo klasse!

andsewon said...

Love this!!!! Such a sweet lil sewing room too.I am visiting today on the magic carpet ride...;-)
Lola

Minxy said...

OMG how absolutly darling this project is, i'm sure the person lucky enough to recieve this was thrilled :)

stampdiva said...

Such a thoughtful gift but also one of the most adorable gifts I have ever seen. Such incredible attention to detail. Lynne Moncrieff

Me! said...

Dear Julia,
Thank you for stopping by my blog, and your kind words. I LOVED reading about your transition from traditional tidy sewing to the collage style. You described, so well my own feelings. I have quilted and sewn my entire life, and breaking the rules is not easy to do, after having them taught so patiently and firmly in the first place.
The wall in your blog banner . . . is it your house? I think it is positively wonderful. I may have to change an entire color scheme in my work room, now.
Life has not been kind lately, and I really just wanted to stop by and thank someone who had kind words. {I'm the one with the pearl necklace.} Thank you so much. You do lovely work. ~ Debbi

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

How wonderfully adorable is that project! It is darling, well done!

from your newest fan!
ciao

"The Jule Box" said...

wow...this is the cutest little thing I've ever seen! I have been on your blog for about 2 hours just totally inspired by your work!! Thanks for sharing your talent!! xoxo Jules:)

Jen.Ant said...

О Боже!!!это чудо!!! так рада, что нашла Ваш блог, он просто чудесный!!