November 25, 2009

A Snowman Makeover

DH knows me very well and always watches out for embellishments I could use in my art or items I could alter. When we go to a flea market we usually seperate after a few minutes because he is through with looking much faster than me. Since I like to check out every box of laces, photographs and knickknack I need a lot more time. DH is a real sweetheart and waits patiently in the car reading a magazine or a newspaper. When I come back he often has a little gift for me and some weeks ago he surprised me with a snowman advent calendar to alter.

BEFORE

After having the traditional Christmas colors red, green and gold for some years and red and white for the last two years, I decided to go for white, cream and silver in the living room this year. The snowman should get a matching makeover. I took off his nose and the wooden knobs of the little drawers and painted him. Well, then I changed his gender and the snowman became a snowgirl ... Sorry, dear snowman but girls just can be dressed up more fancy!

AFTER


I glued sheet music onto the hat and added a velvet ribbon, a feather and a rhinestone button.

Instead of a scarf I gave her a lace collar to wear around her neck. From a vintage book I cut out the required numbers and adhered them onto the snowflakes which I attached to the drawers.

The original nose was a flat piece of wood and I didn't want to use that. I checked out my stash for anything that would make a nice nose but couldn't come up with anything that would look like one. A while ago I had bought a package of silver angel hair which I didn't like very much because it was stiff and not shiny. I played around with it and formed a nose shape. It didn't look so bad but it still wasn't the perfect nose. When DH came into my studio to see what I had been up to, I asked him if he would have any idea. He looked at the angel hair nose and said "Why don't you just solder it a little bit?". That's what I did and I love the result.

Isn't she a cutie?

When you are wondering what happened to drawer number 6 (the one in the hat), I replaced it with the lace pouch because snowgirl liked that better.

I have been working on a couple more Christmas projects and will show them to you soon. Till then I wish you a lot of fun with your Christmas decoration!

29 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

I LOVE this transformation Julia!!! Isn't it funny how our tastes change over time? I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving ~ hugs and love, Dawn

shabbychicinspired said...

Oooch nööö, wie knuffig! Klasse, Julia! :-)

Sandy said...

Julia die beiden sind so knuffig.
Haste echt so toll gestaltet. Klasse gewerkelt.

Angela Harris said...

Love the snowman with the glittery silver lining. I want to create a advent calender project for my kids so badly but there are so many options!
Thankyou for showing this adorable creation :)

Tracy Suzanne said...

Hi Julia. This is so so pretty. I just love the transformation. I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.

Hugs....Tracy

Sunday Roses said...

^....ich würde sagen, eine glatte 1, die du da hingezaubert hast...
LG
Beate

Dorthe said...

Hi Julia, oh how sweet she is, so lovely.
Sie ist doch so süss, und wunderschön, eine richtiges mädel.So viel mehr schön wie -altered- als vorher. Liebe von erster blick.

Grüsse Dorthe

Sylvia said...

Hi, what a cute snowoman, love all your blog postings...

Happy Thanksgiving..

Gaby Bee said...

Wie süß :-) Jetzt gefällt er/sie mir viel besser als vorher. Schöne Idee!
Danke für den netten Kommentar!

Liz Schaffner said...

Very cute!!!!

JaNs ArTy AtC JouRneY said...

Your snow lady is gorgeous!!
Fabby transformation! :)

Nancy Maxwell James said...

oh Julie this is just darling! what a wonderful winter snowman you created - beautiful makeover...isn't it nice when our hubby's support our art by hunting with us? :)

Les Cotrions said...

Your snowman is so lovely! You made a very nice makeover!!! I like to see transformations from before to after!
I'm looking forward to see your new projects!
have a nice week end!
Vale

patchsprotte said...

dein Schneemann hat ja jetzt ein tolles Outfit, könnte glatt einen Schneemannschönheitswettbewerb gewinnen :-)

Silke

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

You've tranformed it beautifully. Your husbands a doll for thinking of you and better yet knowing that you could do your magic to it...and you certainly did. Love the cute little nose too!
xxx......Carole

Cassandra said...

Oh my goodness this is SO adorable, I just LOVE IT!

:) Cassandra

Carla said...

Julia, she turned out adorable!!! I love the sheet music and new "bling" on her hat. So, so cut!

Oh, stop by my blog . . . I'm having my first giveaway. I'd love for you enter!

Stephenie said...

I looooooove the snowman makeover!!! You really did such an amazing job..I love all the details and especially the hat..How cute is that...
Hope all is well..
Stephenie

Anne~fiona and twig said...

You have the cutest blog, and your snowman is just darling!
Good luck in my giveaway, thanks so much for entering!
All the best,
Anne

Lyneen said...

How cute is your snowman.... Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering my blogoversary... Good LUCK!

Tracey said...

Julia it's fantastic!! I love the white, cream, and silver theme! And the sheet music hat is perfection!!! LOVE it...

:) T

Lee W - The Way I See It said...

Julia- you did and AMAZING job. I love the new look. Thanks for coming by my blog!

Anneke said...

they are both very cute and you have changed it wonderful

Rebecca said...

Hello Thanks for stopping by! The snowman is very cute....much better your way!
Blessings
Rebecca

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

Oh Julia, Your snowgirl is so adorable!! What an amazing transformation, you did a such beautiful job!!
Thank you so much for your visit to my blog and for leaving your sweet comment. I am so happy to know that you like the card!
Happy Holidays!
Hugs, Carol Anne

The Rustic Victorian said...

I came over from The Feathered Nest comments,,and I am glad I did,,,what a wonderful blog and transformaton!!
Marcie

Debbi said...

Hi Julia, love your repurpose project--I love transforming the old stuff into something new and fresh and it was mostly free!
Thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely compliments on my pillow for Gail's challenge!

Karen Valentine said...

Julia your transformation is AMAZING!!! It took something that was really very cutsey and childlike and turned it into an heirloom! LOL! Really, it's just great. You should be very proud!

Karen
My Desert Cottage

BellaRosa said...

I just love your snowman (woman) redo, she is soo much more stylish and lovely! You did a wonderful job on her, loved everything about it, especially her new nose :) Besos, Rose